We are delighted to invite Maddison to launch our brand new “Undiscovered Zone”.
This is where you will find in-depth profiles of new bands and artists who we believe have what it takes to stand out from the crowd.
Here you will also find streaming links to new music, music videos and photographs; plus links to social media and official websites. More of our red hot “ones to watch” will be added regularly and very soon.
Time to introduce you to Maddison………………………..
South Wales five-piece guitar-driven rock band Maddison was born out of lead vocalist and guitarist James Chorlton’s desire and passion to create music surrounding his own experiences with anxiety and depression.
After many years of writing behind closed doors, Maddison was formed. Maddison released their first album, “The Dark” in 2017 and very quickly amassed a sizeable online following. Most notably on Facebook, where the band’s page likes quickly clocked up more than 50,000.
The band released two singles ‘The Dark’ and ‘Walking In The Rain’ with accompanying videos, from the debut album, as well as multiple acoustic cover videos which brought in more than 90,000 streams on Spotify and in excess of 66,000 views on YouTube in a very short space of time.
The band were playlisted in multiple Spotify playlists including Release Radar and Discover Weekly.
The new five-track EP “Recovery” has just dropped and has already received multiple plays from Planet Rock, where Def Leppard’s Joe Elliott played “Sinking Like A Stone” on his show. Their current video for the track, “Lose My Mind”, is gathering solid hits and acclaim. Maddison are currently working on arrangements for their debut tour.
Music Republic Magazine tip this lot for BIG success. Credible but uber commercial, on-trend indie rock and pop sound. Powerful and thought provoking in equal measure. Great production, James can really sing, the guys can really play, and the songs are stronger than Gordon Ramsay’s language. Kaiser Chiefs, Kings of Leon territory. Smart major label A&Rs would do worse than get these chaps signed up soon.
Arena ready, ripe for mainstream radio and smash hits. More hooks than a fishing tackle shop!
- Who is in the band and what do they do/play?
James Chorlton – Vocals & Lead Guitar
“Peej” Peter Edwards – Guitar & Backing Vocals
Benj Allison – Bass & Backing Vocals
Aled Evans – Keyboards
Kob – Drums & Backing Vocals
- Oldest and youngest – and ages please?
Aled is the youngest at 23, Benj is the oldest at 34.
- Where and when was the band formed? How did you meet? Where are you all based now?
We had all been in bands that grew up in the Welsh music scene, so we all knew of each other during that time, but only came together as Maddison in 2017. We’re based in Chepstow, South Wales.
- Have any of the members worked with any famous names or had any solo success before joining this band? What other bands have members been in?
None of us have had any solo success but we’ve all been in various bands over the years. Some of our old bands saw moderate success during the boom of Welsh music some years ago. Those were great times.
- What day jobs has each member had?
We’ve probably done the lot between us! Call centre, shops, tax office, fast food, sales. None are as appealing as being in a band though!
- Who writes the songs?
James brings ideas to the band and the band then works together to build the songs around the ideas. It’s a fun and engaging process that has brought us great results so far.
- What recordings have been released so far?
The Dark – Album – 5th September 2017
Recovery – EP – 15th June 2018
- First public performance?
Currently we haven’t played any live shows – but have a show in Chepstow coming up on 25th August, and more to be confirmed very soon!
- Strangest gig you have done?
Not for this band, but a couple of us were in a band together years ago, and we played a festival in a friend’s back garden in honour of their milkman! It was bizarre, but fun!
- Main influences of the band?
Collectively it’s a wide range of influences: Pink Floyd, Foo Fighters, Muse, Queens of the Stone Age, Green Day; and other off the wall influences.
- Best moment in music so far?
So far, it’s been the releass of our album and EP, and watching our online presence grow incredibly quickly, without playing any live shows.
- Do you guys want to be famous? Do you think you will be?
We’d like to be successful doing what we love. Hopefully we can get to the stage where all of our hard work has paid off!
- What is the dream for your band and your music?
We just hope to reach as many people as possible, and hope people enjoy what we do for many years to come. We’d also like to share stages with some of our favourite bands.
- How do you describe your music style to a stranger who asks: “what kind of music does your band play”?
It’s powerful, guitar-driven, anthemic rock music that will get you singing along!
- What do you want your music to say about you?
There are a lot of messages in our music about the struggles with mental health, but we try to be positive with it, using metaphors where possible. We’d like to think that anyone struggling with these issues can listen to our music and find something to relate to.
- Most dramatic thing that has ever happened to the band – or a member?
Most dramatic would have to be that James had a near fatal motorcycle accident some years ago. Thankfully he fully recovered, but it was incredibly scary.
- Who is the joker in the band?
All five of us are guilty of being jokers. One running we joke we have is that James lives quite close to Chepstow racecourse, so we always joke that he owns a horse called Hercules! He doesn’t actually own any horses, but the joke’s been going on a long time now.
- Who needs to be centre of attention?
The frontman of course!
- Who is the bossy one?
That would have to be Kob, our drummer.
- Who hogs the mirror?
Again, the frontman!
- Who is always late?
This one is easy. James and Kob.
- Who are you guys listening to right now; bands/artists?
Foo Fighters, Stay Voiceless, Queens of the Stone Age, Kiss, Protest the Hero. That’s a small selection, but we all have very vast and different tastes!
- Choose one album each that you could not live without if you were stuck on a desert island?
James would choose Echoes, the Best of Pink Floyd
- Who would be your dream collaboration to record with or to perform on stage with?
James: That would have to be David Gilmour.
- Best compliment you have read or heard about your band and your music so far?
“Proving that there’s more to Chepstow than horse racing” That was from Joe Elliott of Def Leppard.
- A: X Factor, B: The Voice, C: Britain’s Got Talent, D: Gouge your own eyes out with a rusty pen knife? Choose A, B, C or D!
I’m going to have to choose the best of a bad bunch here! I’d say A.
- Your favourite musician joke?
Two Beach Boys walk in to a bar. “Round?” “Round” “Get a round?” “I’ll get a round!”
- Plans for the rest of this year and next year?
To continue writing, recording, promoting our band and to play some live shows.